Thursday, August 18, 2011

Nice Day for a Walk...or in My Case...a Gimp


Yesterday was one of the nicest days around here that I can remember for quite a while. It also happened to coincide with the Wednesday flea market in the next town. I've been frustrated most of the summer with a severely sprained ankle, and yesterday was just too much to ignore.

I bravely strapped on my ankle brace, got into the car and headed to the flea market. Apparently, everyone else in the local area had the same idea. The place was jammed! Usually this early in the morning, traffic is very light, but this morning I was lucky to have a place to park. Swell...that much more of a distance to walk on this bum ankle. Nevertheless, the day was gorgeous, and I had some cash to burn, so off I went...slowly.

One of the things I noticed almost immediately was the prices on the items for sale. I may have been out of commission for June and July, but that wasn't enough time for inflation to hit the country THAT fast! On many of the items that held my interest, the prices were at or above retail! I couldn't believe it! I think too many of these good folks watch Antiques Roadshow and believe that the items they're selling are rare, and therefore worth lots of money. Trust me...most of the stuff is quite frankly, junk. If yesterday was any indication, the days of finding a real bargain at the flea market might be coming to a close. I'm not ready to give up...but it certainly was disheartening.

While I was there, I stopped and talked to a few friends that I know and haven't seen for a while, but after a couple of hours, I decided to call it quits and hobble on home. No luck. Not even close, but it was sure a nice day for a walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment